Add your leftover turkey to this fantastic fried rice recipe from the Japengo restaurant at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa in Maui.
By Michelle M. Winner
It’s not so much that we can’t stand another bite of leftover turkey, it’s that when turkey is added to Japengo’s famous ” Japengo Fried Rice” recipe, it makes this simple recipe, well, tastier.
Fried rice lovers love that you can add most anything to the base of chilled cooked rice, oyster sauce, garlic and ginger. This recipe is only a guideline. In fact the day I visited the Japengo restaurant on Maui, one of Japengo’s chefs was set up in Hyatt Regency Maui’s expansive atrium lobby “wok-ing to order” the hotel guests’ own ingredient combinations to make individual tastes of fried rice.
- 1 oz. canola oil
- 1½ Tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 oz. mushroom soy sauce
- 2 oz. onion, small dice
- 2 oz. green peas (iadd frozen peas from package)
- 1 oz. corn kernels
- 2 oz. oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon green onions, chopped
- 6 oz. ground dark meat chicken ( substitute chopped cooked turkey here)
- ½ Tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 oz. red bell pepper
- 1 oz. shiitake mushrooms,sliced thin
- 10 oz. rice, long grained, cooked and chilled overnight
- 2 oz. eggs , scrambled, cooked and diced
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped fine for garnish
- In hot work, heat up oil, add chicken, garlic and ginger.Cook chicken till golden brown about two minutes. ( If using cooked turkey leftovers instead of chicken wait until last to add and do not brown garlic and ginger.)
- Push ingredients up to the sides of wok and add mushroom soy sauce, red bell peppers,onions,carrots, green peas, shiitake mushrooms, and corn. Cooking/tossing all ingredients together for two minutes. Add in rice, oyster sauce and eggs. Cook/toss all together for two more minutes. Season w/ pepper, place in bowl and garnish with green onion and cilantro.