Hara Moong Masala – Green Moong in Onion and Tomato Gravy
Nandita Nataraj reveals her grandmother’s secret recipe for Hara Moong Masala.
By Nandita Nataraj
The hara moong masala is one of my favorite dishes. This recipe is from my grand mother who to me, is the world’s finest cook. This dish is very simple to put together. And yet, it tastes like you have spent a long time preparing this. Unlike other north indian curries, this curry does not include Garam masala. Instead, the Pav bhaji masala is used to spice this Dish. This healthy and high protein dish, is definitely a crowd pleasing one. This curry, goes great with either rotis, pooris or rice.
Hara moong masala- Green moong in onion and tomato gravy
- Green moong beans- 1 cup or 6 Oz, washed and soaked overnight
- Onion- 1 large, chopped fine
- Tomato- 2, med sized, chopped fine
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Green chilli- 1, slit
- Jeera or Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Turmeric- ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder- ¼tsp
- Pav bhaji masala- ¾- 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar- ½tsp
- Butter- garnish (optional)
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Pressure cook the soaked moong for 3-4 whistles or till done and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds
- Once they pop and turn brown, add the onion and slit green chilli and fry till the onions are pink
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2mins till the raw smell goes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for 3-4 min
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and sugar and continue frying for a min
- Stir in the boiled moong and the pav bhaji masala and mix well.
- Add about half a cup of water and allow the mixture to simmer for 5mins
- Take off the heat and garnish with butter and corianer leaves and serve hot with rice or rotis.