Grilling tofu to serve with sesame rice is a wonderful combination. Read Preethi Vemu’s recipe below.
By Preethi Vemu
I detest the idea of using paneer/tofu instead of meat in any meat based dish, but some dishes do not go well with anything else. In my opinion, this is one such dish.
- Soya sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Red wine - 2 Tbsp (I used Port wine)
- Tofu - 200gm, cut in large inch sized slabs
- Basmati rice - 1 C
- Sesame seeds - 2 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Green Peas - ½ C (Frozen or fresh)
- French beans - ½ C, finely chopped
- Green chillis - 2, slit length wise in inch long pieces
- Spring onions - a couple of bulbs, chopped fine
- Sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mix the soya, sugar and red wines together in a bowl till the sugar dissolves.
- Now marinade the tofu pieces in this liquid for atleast 30 min
- Cook rice separately on an open flame by boiling it in plenty of water and sieving it. Keep aside.
- Boil French beans and green peas in the microwave.
- In a pan, heat the oil and pour the marinated tofu along with the marinade. Let this stand on a medium flame for 5 min till the marinade will eventually boil and dry on the flame. Keep the tofu pieces aside.
- In the same pan, heat some oil and sauté the spring onions and chillies. Add sesame and poppy seeds and sauté them all till the seeds are roasted.
- Add beans and peas to this and sauté for a couple of min and then add rice. Mix this well, taking care to not break the rice grains.
- Serve the fried rice with the tofu pieces on top. Garnish as required.
- Can be eaten as-is or can be paired with a stir-fry.
- I served this with a vegetable stir-fry made with Sriracha sauce.