Whether it is your birthday or not, this easy funfetti loaf cake is loaded with sprinkles and perfect for any celebration or gathering.
My birthday is this weekend. I don’t usually bake anything special for my birthday; Stella loves to plan the entire day from breakfast to dessert. Sometimes we go out, sometimes we grill at home. Either way, my family always makes it fun.
With my birthday coming up this loaf just had to bet baked. It’s definitely more cake than bread, but when you bake a cake in a loaf pan and call it bread, it is more acceptable to eat it for breakfast. Or maybe that’s just me. My taste tester loved it SO much, she ate three pieces right after the photos we done. Chances are there won’t be even a sprinkle left by the time my birthday actually gets here.
- 1 cup of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp butter flavored extract (optional)
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- spray a loaf pan with non-stick baking spray (line pan with parchment to make removing the loaf easier)
- cream together the butter and sugar, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes)
- add egg yolk and whole eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl in between additions
- add extracts, stir 1 miute, and then add flour and salt
- gently stir in the sprinkles, and pour into the prepared pan
- for the crumb topping combine ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup flour, and using your fingers, rub in 2 Tbsp cold butter until it is evenly distributed (texture should be like wet sand) stir in ¼ cup sprinkles
- sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the cake batter loaf
- bake 70 minutes and check for doneness (a pick inserted in the center should come out with just a few moist crumbs) my loaf took an extra 10 minutes
- when done, cool in pan 10 minutes, and then remove to a rack to finish cooling (bread slices much easier when completely cool)