After a week of these vibrant green drinks for breakfast, Carly DeFilippo can attest that they’re energy in a cup.
By Carly DeFilippo
Energy in a Cup: All Green Smoothie
The hype around health smoothies always made me suspicious, but after a week of these vibrant green drinks for breakfast, I can honestly attest that they're energy in a cup!
- ½ cup water
- 2 celery stalks
- ½ cucumber
- 3 romaine leaves
- 5 kale leaves (de-stemmed)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- Lemon juice/lime juice/unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Pour water into your blender.
- Finely chop and add to blender (one vegetable at a time) celery, cucumber, romaine, kale, avocado.
- Scoop out ripe avocado, blend into mixture.
- Add minced/chopped ginger and herbs to mixture.
- When you are ready to serve, add acidity to taste: either a healthy squeeze of lemon/lime juice, or - for an extra-healthy boost - a splash of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
Unless you have a very high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, make sure each vegetable is thoroughly blended into the water before adding the next. You can use a wooden spoon to pre-mix the rougher vegetables into pre-existing liquid in order to ease the process. You can vary the amount of water you use to fit your texture preferences - and/or you can make thicker smoothies for easier conservation, then add a bit of water and stir when you're ready to drink.