This hearty oxtail and beef noodle soup with pickled chilis with fill your home with cozy, irresistible aromas.
Aromatic, meaty and comforting with the bursting flavor from a myriad of spices, one mouthful will melt your heart!
I am using the oxtails to make the rich and gelatinous broth as a base. It requires long and slow cooking to release its beefy juices and collagen. The coriander, pickled chillies, roasted peanuts and lemon juice compliment perfectly with the earthy flavor of the soup.
- 300g oxtails
- 500g boneless beef shank, cut into 2-3 cm pieces
- 2L water
- 300g fresh noodles
- ¼ cup soy source
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 slices ginger
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ cup rice wine
- 4 heads bok choy
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons of pickled chillies
- Parboiling beef — Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Put oxtails and beef shank into saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Discard the hot water and wash the gunk off the beef with cold water.
- Beef broth --- in a large stockpot, add the par-boiled oxtails and beef shank, soy source, fish oil, sugar, rice wine, ginger, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and water to the pot. Simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until the beef is fork tender.
- Noodle soup --- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the bok choy and cook about 2 minutes until tender. Remove the bok choy and set aside. Bring the water back to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until tender, drain the noodles. Divide noodles and bok choy among bowls. Add the beef and hot broth into the bowls. Garnish with coriander, pickled chilles, roasted peanuts and server with lemon wedges.