When you combine a copycat recipe for an iconic burger and wrap it in a tortilla, taco night will never be the same. Animal Style In-N-Out Bacon Beef Tacos.
By Chris Cockren
Pretty much everyone knows about In-N-Out’s not so secret menu at this point, which includes making your burger Animal Style. They cook your patty in a bit of mustard, add on caramelized onions, and give an extra smear of their special sauce. For a fast food burger, it’s legit.
Then the Animal Style In-N-Out Bacon Cheeseburger Taco was born. It has all the components of the In-N-Out burger (sans pickles), wrapped up in a tortilla. Beef cooked with a bit of mustard. Check. Caramelized onions. Check. Copycat animal style sauce. Check.
And I added bacon to it as well, because bacon makes pretty much everything better and it’s for a party with all dudes. It’s a night when we literally try to add bacon to as many things as possible.
- 2 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil (i.e. canola or vegetable)
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Kosher salt
- Flour tortillas
- Sliced American cheese
- 6 slices bacon, chopped and cooked crispy
- Iceburg Lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Animal Spread (recipe below)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat in a medium skillet. Add onions, season with salt, and cook slowly for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, golden, and soft. Raise heat to medium, add ¼ cup of water to pan, and stir to scrap up any browned bits. Simmer until all water has evaporated. Remove onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and add ground beef, mustard, and season generously with salt. Cook over medium heat, breaking up beef into bite-sized pieces, until meat is cooked-through, about 4-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove beef to a medium bowl.
- Place a slice of American cheese on each tortilla. Melt cheese onto tortilla by either microwaving for about 10 seconds each or heating tortillas in a skillet over medium heat.
- Top each melted cheese covered tortilla with beef, lettuce, tomato, bacon, animal spread, and caramelized onions.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and white vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Season with Kosher salt.