These Baked Chicken Taquitos are a healthier, baked version of everyones fried favorite. Crockpot Mexican shredded chicken and cheese are rolled into tortillas, then baked until crispy. And don’t forget the homemade salsa.
These taquitos are so easy to make they are perfect for serving a crowd. Lay out a large platter with salsas, guacamole and some sides (suggestions below including a delicious margarita recipe) and let your guests go to town.
I have tried many times to make these with corn tortillas and as soon as they hit the warm oven, they break open. If you fry them they are fine, but this recipe is for baked taquitos, so I use flour tortillas which are much more forgiving.
The taquitos come together in minutes. The longest part of this recipe was making the Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken filling because I cooked it my crockpot and let me tell you, it is worth it. It is also even easier to make as there are only 2 ingredients (plus spices). The shredded chicken is a recipe that can be made at the beginning of the week and kept in the fridge so you can be ready well ahead of your Mexican fiesta celebrations.
The key to being an efficient taquito maker is having an assembly line. Have your tortillas in a pile with your fillings either side, then you fill and roll, fill and roll. Once you have them rolled, brush them with oil to help them brown, line them up on a racked baking sheet and they are ready for the oven.
Using a rack on a baking sheet ensures the heat gets around the entire taquito and making them crispy all around.
Taquitos are named for there size. Meaning, a 6-inch tortilla is traditionally used for taquito’s. If a larger tortilla is used, they are called Flautas and are made with wheat tortillas.
Serving suggestion: What I like to serve with taquitos is grilled salsa verde for dipping and of course guacamole, Esquites Mexican corn salad (recipe soon) and of course a refreshing lemon-lime margarita (the names are all clickable links to the recipes).
- 12 flour tortillas
- 3 cups crockpot Mexican shredded chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a rack in a baking sheet.
- Take a tortilla and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of shredded chicken on the lower ⅓ of the tortilla closest to you, spread evenly.
- Top the chicken with 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it cheesy).
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the tortilla tightly. Secure with a toothpick. Brush the outside with oil. Set on the rack on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Repeat until all the tortillas are used.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove toothpick before serving.