This simple breakfast or brunch is perfect for slow mornings after late nights.
By Susan Benton
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 large eggs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups.
- With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4¼-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps.
- Brush bread with remaining butter.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.)
- Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until egg whites are just set, about 20 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.