This recipe comes from Chef Gavin Russell of Portland, Oregon’s Benson Hotel where you can enjoy his cuisine at the buffet or at private events.
By Michelle M. Winner
Baby Artichoke Salad with Peas
This recipe comes from Chef Gavin Russell of Portland, Oregon's Benson Hotel where you can enjoy his cuisine at the buffet or at private events.
Author: Benson Hotel's Chef Gavin Russell
Recipe Type: Salad
Cuisine: Pacific Northwest Classic
- 24 baby artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup freshly shucked English peas
- 2 tablespoons roughly torn mint leaves
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons Modena balsamic vinegar
- ½ pound of Crescenza Stracchino or mascarpone
- Combine water and juice from one lemon in a non-reactive bowl, such as plastic or ceramic.
- Prepare the artichokes by snapping off the tough outer leaves, then peeling until you get to the pale soft leaves that form a compact bullet shape.
- Use a paring knife to cut off the green tips, base and any tough pieces remaining. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise and scoop out any needle-like fibers in the center.
- Place artichokes in lemon water (can be stored for up to 4 hours at room temperature).
- minutes before serving, place the peas and the juice and zest from the remaining lemon into a separate non-reactive bowl.
- Drain the artichokes, slice as thinly as possible by hand and add to the lemon and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper then add the olive oil and mint leaves.
- Spread the Crescenza or mascarpone onto the base of four plates.
- Toss the contents of the bowl and place on top of the Crescenza or mascarpone.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and a bit more olive oil.