Once upon a time there was a lonely bowl of plain oats. Just kidding, this is not a fairy tale story. But after eating this “Apple-y Ever After Oatmeal,” I can assure that you will be tOATally satisfied.
By Rebecca Doser
- ½ cup of oats
- ¼ cup of granola
- Desired amount of milk (depending on your preferred oatmeal consistency)
- ½ apple
- 1½ tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- A few dashes of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Drizzle of honey
- Shredded coconut
- Dried fruit
- Heat oatmeal, granola and milk on low-med heat in a small pan on the stove; stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add a little butter and toss in apple slices.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together then sprinkle evenly over the apple slices (flip apples to coat both sides).
- Cook for 4 minutes, then add one tablespoon of lemon juice to the sauce pan and caramelize the apples for another 3 minutes until fully glazed.
- Drizzle honey into your oatmeal before removing from heat. Top your oatmeal bowl with the caramelized apples, and optional toppings such as almonds, dried fruit and shredded coconut. Bon appétit!