Brady Evans has a hard time finding some really good healthy bread alternatives in the grocery store, so she takes matters into her own hands.
By Brady Evans
I’m really frustrated at the lack of healthy bread offerings in our closest grocery store. There are rows and rows of the same brand and same style of enriched white sandwich bread and usually about 3 loaves of staling wheat bread available for purchase.
Now I have no problem making my own whole wheat sandwich bread; I do, however, have a problem finding the time to set aside to do so.
This past weekend after my grocery shopping trip, I came home without a single loaf of bread but the ingredients for two different types of sandwiches that I had added to my meal plan.
This whole wheat flatbread recipe saved the day. It can be made after work and allows only a short rest which is the perfect window of time for prepping the main course ingredients.Print
Whole Wheat Flatbreads
A recipe perfect for sandwich wraps that can be prepared on a weeknight
- Author: adapted from Martha Stewart
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3 cups (710 mL) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) water, plus 1-2 T as needed
- Combine all ingredients until a smooth dough is made and knead for 5 minutes on a flat surface.
- Let dough rest in a bowl, covered with a damp towel, for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 8 portions and roll each portion out into a flat circle, about 7? in diameter. If dough seems resistant to stretching out, let rest a few minutes, and then try to roll out thinner again.
- Let rest under a damp towel until ready to use.
- Bake stovetop in a nonstick pan sprayed with cooking oil heated to medium for 45 seconds each side, or until brown spots begin to appear.
Brady Evans is a cook who specializes in stretching cooking boundaries towards a more healthy lifestyle. She loves making recipes with unexpected ingredients and share her passion for cooking through her very successful and mostly-vegetarian blog, Branny Boils Over.
I love how quickly these can be made! So many flatbreads require hours of rising time. This is indeed perfect for a weeknight dinner.