A quick, creamy dessert with warming spices is great to serve many unexpected guests.
By Shuchi Mittal
Straightforward & fast,
Wholesome, with spices
That’ll fill up your heart.
Call it comfort-ilicious
Or flavors in a bowl,
It’ll complete your meal
And warm up the soul..
Oh and did I mention
A boil is all it needs,
Simple to make, yet tasty?
Now that’s a recipe for keeps!”
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons white Basmati rice
- 3 green cardamoms, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6-8 pitted dates, hydrated & chopped
- 8-10 pieces of white chocolate
- In a deep-bottomed pan, bring to boil the milk, cardamom & sugar. Once boiled, add the rice and cook on medium low flame so the mixture is just simmering.
- Continue to cook till the rice is soft and fully cooked.
- Turn heat to high and give it another boil to slightly thicken the kheer. [PS-At this stage, it’s already a delicious pudding and can be eaten as is. But the next step just adds a creamy twist to it..].
- Discard any cardamom skin, and stir in the dates & white chocolate. Mix well till the chocolate is fully melted.
- Chill for 2 hours & serve with a dash of cinnamon & caramel
Shuchi cooks with the heart of a poet. Banker turned chef, she runs the 29. Private Kitchen in NYC focusing on social tasting events, dining experiences and small-scale private events. Using simple & wholesome ingredients, she likes to re-invent homemade Indian flavors into modern tapas & small plates. Her dream? To cook, feed, write, and eventually open her own communal dining cafe - with a published recipe book on the stands.