Partner Post: Want to experiment with Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka? You can find some inspiration by visiting the @zu_usa Instagram page.
Garnished with spring violets, the verdant cocktail is shaken with a bison grass spirit, Zubrowka, herbs, celery bitters, anise, cucumber and lemon to create a vegetal cocktail with refreshing tartness.
Zubrowka, a Polish spirit, has been continuously distilled from rye based vodka for centuries, and what makes it even more interesting, is its infusion with Bison grass or Zubrowka which is a type of vanilla grass grown in remote areas of Poland. On the palate it is deliciously complex with notes of freshly cut grass, vanilla and almond notes. To further amplify this spirit’s uniqueness, I’m pairing it with a splash of anise flavored liquor, cucumber, tender herbs, celery bitters and lemon, and to me it’s like drinking a spring garden. Green, herbally, complex and refreshingly tart, The Verdant Spring is my kind of cocktail. I hope you enjoy it!
To make this springy green cocktail, muddle cucumber and tender herbs like basil, mint, celery leaves, or Italian parsley with simple syrup in a shaker, then add ZU Bison Grass Vodka, Pernod, Celery bitters, ice, lemon juice and shake well, then strain and serve it up.
Pernod gives this a lovely anise – fennel flavor, but if you can’t find it or don’t have it, infuse your simple syrup with fennel fronds or fennel seeds for a similar effect. The celery bitters add a nice touch, but it’s not imperative. Thinly slice and insert cucumbers, garnish with spring violets and enjoy!
- 1 small turkish cucumber sliced into ¼ inch slices ( about ½ cup)
- handful tender herbs torn ( basil, italian parsley, celery leaves, or mint or a mix)
- 1 ounce simple syrup see note
- 4 ounces of ZU Bison Grass Vodka
- ½ ounce Pernod or Anise flavored liquor- see note
- 1 ½ ounce fresh lemon or lime juice
- splash celery bitters optional
- Garnish- 2 thin slices turkish cucumber use a veggie peeler and violets
- Place cucumber and herbs in a shaker and muddle with the simple syrup.
- Add Vodka, Pernod, fresh lemon Juice and the celery bitters.
- Fill with Ice and shake well.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into 2 chilled glasses. Serve up.
- Notes- Instead of Pernod, you could make a fennel bulb( or seed ) infused simple syrup. Simple syrup = 1 part water to 1 part sugar, heated, stirred until dissolved, let cool. Alternatively, you could use one part honey to one part water, heated, stirred, cooled.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.