Carol Egbert makes a wonderfully tasty carrot falafel recipe for our reading pleasure.
By Carol Egbert
Vegetarian Carrot Falafel
A wonderfully tasty carrot falafel recipe for your reading pleasure.
Author: Carol Egbert
Recipe Type: Main
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups carrots, coarsely grated – divided
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 19-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons tahini, (sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Saute onion in butter over medium heat until soft and beginning to brown.
- While onions cook, zap 1 cup of carrots with 1 Tablespoon water, in microwave until soft; about 3 minutes.
- Put drained, cooked carrots, chickpeas, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt into food processor, pulsed until chickpeas are coarsely chopped.
- Combined chickpea mixture with 1 cup raw carrots and cooked onions.
- Form heaping tablespoonfuls of the mixture into patties and rolled in breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook patties in batches until golden brown, about four minutes on each side.
- Serve with sauce made by combining tahini with lemon juice and enough water to make a sauce with the consistency of mayonnaise.