This ice cream making method requires no cooking and manages to be creamy and luscious while staying vegan.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
- 1 ¾ cups raw cashews
- 3 ½ cups filtered water
- 14 mejdool dates
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- ¾ cup roasted hazelnuts
- Place raw cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water and soak overnight (6-8 hours).
- Pit dates and place in a clean bowl. Cover with water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain cashews and dates.
- Place inside a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, and blend at high speed for one minute. Add dates and cocoa powder. Blend for another minute or two, until smooth.
- Transfer ice cream mix into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrapper. Refrigerate for at least an hour before transferring into an ice cream maker.
- Follow your ice cream maker’s manufacturer instructions. It usually takes 20-25 minutes for the gelato to thicken.
- Once thick, add chopped hazelnuts, mix until well distributed. Transfer to a freezer proof container. Freeze for 6-8 hours until ready to serve.
- Thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recently graduated with from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. She has recently completed "People in Food-Space", an ethnographic study on the cultural production of taste in space. She has also examined post-soviet food production systems and housing projects in Havana, Cuba. Originally from Puerto Rico, Mariela has been living in the United States for eight years. She has involved herself in both teaching and practice, while writing on food at tastyplan.com. Her goal as a food writer is to cook creatively, using the best ingredients to find new flavor combinations every day.