Amrita Rawat gets a craving for Carrot Cake this Easter, and blames the ever present Easter Bunny for reminding her to eat more carrots.
Text And Photo By Amrita Rawat
I don’t know what got into me this week but I suddenly had a major craving for carrot cake. Maybe it’s all the bunnies of Easter around, reminding me to eat more carrots! It surprised me since I usually crave chocolate cake, never a carrot cake, which I had previously thought was kind of boring… It’s a good thing I’m a baker and I could whip up a recipe at home in no time…
I’ve made carrot cakes before, but this one is special. It really hit the spot in my carrot cake emergency. Instead of the typical recipe, I added my favorite masala chai spices to it, like ginger, cardamom, and cloves. It’s a great adaptable recipe for the classic carrot cake.
I loved the moistness and spiced flavor so much that I don’t think it even needed anything else, but a pretty and tasty frosting on top can’t hurt, especially when it’s my special cream cheese frosting… It’s also the perfect Easter dish!
- 2½ cups (248g) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp (4.5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking soda
- 1¼ tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (1.2g) ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp (1.2g) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (0.5g) ground cloves
- ¼ tsp (0.5g) ground cardamom
- ½ tsp (1g) salt
- 1 lb (6-7) carrots, grated or peeled
- 1½ cups (287g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups (337g) canola oil
- 8oz (227g) cream cheese
- ⅔ cup (134g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (122g) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients together, starting with the oil, sugar, eggs, and then adding in all the dry ingredients and stirring well till combined.
- Add in nuts/raisins/pineapple slices to your liking!
- Scoop evenly into muffin liners.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs attached (or clean).
- Whip the cream separately in a clean bowl till stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, whip the cream cheese, sugar, and extract together (with any food colorings) till it’s well blended.
- Fold in the whipped cream into the bowl till it’s well combined.
- Smear or pipe it on a cupcake