Um Ali is a dessert that combines the creaminess of bread pudding and cinnamon nut stuffing of baklava.It is a wonderful treat warm out of the oven or cold out of the fridge.The name comes with a story – or maybe even stories.
By Sawsan Abu Farha
Legend has it that im Ali was the first wife of the Sultan Ezz El Din Aybek. In Egypt, women were not allowed to rule, but were permitted to be guardians to their sons who would become king when they came of age. When the sultan died, his second wife had a dispute with im Ali over whose son would be the successor to the Sultan. The second wife was heavily guarded making it difficult for im Ali to get rid of her.
- 1 pack (10 small square slices) puff pastry
- 4-5 cups milk
- ½ to ⅔ cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like it to be)
- 1 teaspoon(5 ml) vanilla
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon(1 gram) cardamom(optional)
- 1 envelop powdered whipping cream. If you don’t have powdered whipping cream just replace half a cup of the milk with half a cup of whipping cream, don’t whip the cream just add it in liquid form (it is meant to add to the flavor not volume)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) double cream
- ¼ cup (57 grams) slices almonds
- ¼ cup (57 grams)walnuts
- ¼ cup (57 grams)pistachio
- ¼ cup (57 grams)sultanas
- ¼ cup (57 grams)shredded coconuts
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer 2 hours before using them and allow to defrost
- Center your oven rack,heat the overn to 220C
- Place the puff pastry slices on a baking sheet and then place them into the oven for 5-10 minutes (you want them to be puffed up and golden brown).
- Take them out of the oven and allow to cool
- In a pot add the milk, whipped cream powder ,sugar and spices and allow to come to a gentle semmer.
- Add the vanilla, cream and take off the heat
- Break the puff pastry into small pieces and place half the amount in a backing dish
- Sprinkle the nuts and coconut
- Top with the other half of puff pastry crumbs
- Slowly add the milk mixture,one ladle at a time to the dish with puff pastry and nuts until the milk fully covers the puff pastry
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes , you’ll notice that the puff pastry absorbs some of the milk. Add milk again untill it covers the puff pastry
- Bake on the central rack for 15 minutes at 220 C
- Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get a golden top
Passionate food explorer Sawsan Abu Farha lives in Jordan and enjoys mixing east and west in her kitchen aiming to get the best of both worlds.Juggling work, motherhood, blogging and a passion for food and food photography, she shares her journey in her blog "Chef in disguise".