This silky turmeric orange flan is made with creamy coconut milk, a burst of turmeric flavor, and bright acidity fro the orange. It’s rich and loaded with tantalizing caramel flavor.
- 1 deep baking dish
- 3 ramekins
- 1 tea kettle (for boiling water)
- 2 small pots
- 1 small bowl
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- juice and zest of one orange
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (divided)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heat 4-5 cups of water in a tea kettle (or small pot for that matter). Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the coconut milk in a small pot. Bring the coconut milk to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and add the orange juice and zest, turmeric powder, vanilla, salt, and ¼ cup of the coconut sugar.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- As the milk cools, make the caramel. Place ½ cup of the coconut sugar in the other pot with 1 tablespoon of water. Over low heat, melt the coconut sugar until it becomes a syrup. (This should happen quickly.) Stir often to prevent it from burning.
- Once the caramel is ready, evenly divide it into the three ramekins. Stir it around and onto the sides of the ramekin. Place the ramekins in the baking dish. Pour enough of the hot water into the baking dish to cover the ramekins halfway up.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs evenly. Pour coconut mixture slowly into the eggs, whisking vigorously to prevent curdling.
- Evenly divide the custard into the three ramekins. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the custard is just set. It is ok if the center wiggles a bit.
- Remove the flans from the oven and let cool out of the water bath for 20 minutes, then transfer into the fridge for at least an hour, but ideally up to 3-4 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan to detach it from the ramekin. , Gently invert onto a plate. The caramel should run over the flan smoothly.
- Category: Dessert