An easy dessert with a cakey brownie base, a rich creamy center, and an absolutely delicious whipped cocoa topping.
By Erin Mahoney
A few great things about this recipe – it’s easy, pretty quick, and so fabulously cookie-and-creamish. The topping is like the best cookies and cream ice cream you’ve ever had, and the bottom is a soft and chewy brownie-cake layer.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 16 Oreo cookies, chopped
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by coating with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1 egg and ½ cup melted butter until completely combined.
- Pour into baking dish, and use a spatula to spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Using the same bowl, combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until the mixture is completely moistened and creamy.
- Remove half of the mixture and place it in another medium bowl. Set it aside for layer
- Add cocoa powder, ¼ cup melted butter and egg to the remaining mixuture. Beat until smooth, using a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Pour mixture over the top of layer 1.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until completely set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Pour whipping cream into a large, clean bowl.
- Beat on medium-high speed until thickened. Add vanilla and confectioners sugar, and beat until just combined and cream is thick.
- Chop the Oreo cookies, and stir about ¾ of them into the reserved cream cheese mixture from earlier. Save remaining Oreos for topping.
- Stir ⅓ of the whipped cream into the Oreo/cream cheese mixture, using a folding motion.
- Add another ⅓ of the whipped cream into the mixture, continuing the folding motion, taking care not to stir too vigorously.
- Add remaining whipped cream, and fold until completely combined.
- Spoon mixture over the top of the cooled bars, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped Oreo cookies.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Erin Mahoney is a food blogger from the Kansas City area. With a day job in the TV business and two little girls at home, this busy Mom spends her very limited free-time experimenting in the kitchen. While her culinary efforts tend to fall on sweet treats and comfort foods, her focus is on real, from-scratch food for her family and friends. Her blog, Lemon Sugar, is full of whimsical recipes and anecdotal stories that will warm your heart and make you hungry.