Tomato Sauce Poached Eggs are the quintessential rustic Italian meal. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, they’ll make for a quick and cozy part of your day.
I don’t know why but I’ve been on a bit of an Italian kick lately. Must be the whole I’m-now-a-graduated-woman-with-a-Bachelor’s-degree-and-therefore-technically-an-adult thing that is making me nostalgic for my childhood. Anyway, this recipe is one that is near and dear to my heart, and I’m pretty sure I’ve been eating this ever since I could eat solid food. I’ll be honest, the hardest part of this recipe was coming up with a name! In my house, we just call this “eggs and tomatoes.” Like, not even ‘tomato sauce’. Just tomatoes. So I figured calling this Tomato Sauce Poached Eggs would be acceptable, since the eggs indeed get poached in the yummy tomato sauce. Makes sense, no?
This is one of my all-time favorite meals, and it definitely falls into the category of “obscure rustic Italian food nobody knows about except for Italians.” It’s is one of those recipes that’s made up by grandmas on the spot when there’s no food in the house. Funny how simple recipes that are made with just a few ingredients seem to always taste the best. Make this for a simple, delicious, incredibly cozy dinner, and serve with plenty of crusty bread!
- 4 eggs
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 small can tomato sauce around 8 oz
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt pepper, and herbs to taste
- pinch of sugar
- In a medium, deep saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in the onions, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar, and cook until the onions have softened, add in the chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce, turn the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for at least 10-15 minutes.
- When the tomatoes and onions are both soft and the sauce is cooked down, make 4 small wells in the tomato mixture, and crack an egg in each one. Top with salt and pepper, then cover again, and allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes, depending on how firm you want your egg to be.
- Serve immediately with plenty of bread!
Hi! My name is Valentina and I am The Baking Fairy! I'm a 20-something university student studying for PA school and moonlighting as a food blogger. I cook, I bake, I craft, I nanny, and I blog about it all! My style of cooking is college-budget gourmet... with an occasional wedding cake. The way to my heart is paved in glitter and chocolate.