The delightful Italian treat filled with creamy mascarpone cheese, cocoa powder and espresso. A universal favorite treat for any occasion.
By Kankana Saxena
Have u ever met anyone who doesn’t like Tiramisu? Well, I haven’t.
I was introduced to Tiramisu by one of my close friend and ex-colleague. We were in China for some training and after a whole day of work, we were too tired to eat out. So, we decided to order for room service. When she ordered for Tiramisu, I was like ‘ehh! what is that?! ‘ She smiled and then told me ‘you will like it, trust me’.
Well, I didn’t like it… I actually loved it, just couldn’t get enough of it! It’s now my favorite dessert.
Before I took the first attempt at making this classic delight, I used to think that it’s one of those treats that are too complicated to create at home. I was wrong! It’s one of the easiest.. all you need is a little time in hand and of-course, the ingredients.
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tbs mascarpone cheese
- 24 lady fingers
- 2 tbs cocoa powder plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup strong espresso, cooled down to room temperature
- ½ cup bitter-sweet chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in an electric mixer or whisker until they are thick and pale. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add mascarpone cheese and continue beating until smooth.
- Add 1 tbs of coco powder and mix until its thoroughly combined.
- Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for about a second and place on the bottom of the serving bowl (I placed 3 in each).
- Next, pour the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Now, arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I keep it overnight).
- While serving, sprinkle some more coco powder with chocolate shavings.