A warming winter main course from the Mclehenny Family. Read more recipes from the Wildwood Family Cookbook here. Bon Appetit!Print
The Mclehenny Family’s Rosted Butternut Tikka Masala
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 People 1x
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch cubes ( about 6 cups)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam masala Spice Blend
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (or sub 1 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup sliced ginger
- 1/4 cup garlic (10 cloves)
- 2–4 fresh serrano chilies- cut in half lengthwise ( or sub a jalapeno)
- 4 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8 roma tomatoes- rough chopped (sauce will be blended)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (optional but AMAZING)
- 3/4 cup plain, full-fat yogurt (or coconut milk, or ½ Cup Cream)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium bowl, toss butternut with 2 T oil, garam masala and salt, until evenly coated. Spread out on a parchment-lined sheet pan and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- (If adding chicken, place cut up chicken into the same bowl. Drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon garam masala, and toss to coat. Place on another baking sheet or baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Broil for a minute or two to get a deeper color.
- While the butternut is roasting, make the Tikka Masala sauce: Place sliced ginger, garlic and chiles in a food processor to make a paste. Pulse until very finely chopped. Heat the ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Saute the paste over medium heat until nicely browned for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, scraping up brown bits with a metal spatula. Cook until golden. Add tomato paste, and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until color deepens. Add spices, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, water and optional fenugreek leaves. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Blend the Tikka Masala Sauce in batches either using an immersion blender, (or a regular blender, covering the blender with a kitchen towel and firmly holding the lid down to prevent an explosion. Return the blended sauce to the pot). Whisk in the yogurt (or coconut milk or cashew cream, or heavy cream). This sauce could be made ahead and reheated!
- Add the roasted butternut squash and chickpeas (or roasted chicken) and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust salt.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over fluffy basmati rice, or with naan bread with a side of raita!
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread
Keywords: Solstice 2020
Photo by Abhi Bakshi on Unsplash