Beet greens and the ever so colorful and beautiful swiss chard together make for an excellent combination.
By Priya Mahadevan
- 2 cups of chopped swiss chard
- 1 cup of Beets greens chopped fine
- 1 beet chopped fine (I threw this in since I had it)
- 1bay leaf
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 1 red chili to grind and 1 to saute
- ¼ cup coconut powder/ or grated coconut
- ½ cup of cashew, hazelnut, & almond milk (optional) (available in TJ's)
- 1 tsp of coconut /sesame oil) for cooking and 1 for tempering
- 2 cup of water
- In a saucepan, lightly fry the coconut, chili pepper and bay leaf in a tsp of oil
- Pour a cup of water and grind and set aside
- To the same pan, add the greens and stir for a couple of minutes
- Add 1 cup of water and allow it to cook for a few minutes
- At this point, add the salt and stir in
- Now add the ground coconut mix and allow all of it to come to a boil or two.
- Remove from flame and transfer to a serving bowl
- Temper with a tsp of oil some mustards seeds, cumin and 1 red chili
- Serve with couscous, rice or chapatis.
Priya Mahadevan is a writer and food blogger with a background in journalism & communication. Priya's mission with her food blog is to blow the myth that healthy cannot be tasty. She was a political and feature correspondent for a prominent Indian newspaper in the 90s before moving to the US. She lives in Virginia with her husband and 3 beautiful children. You can find her world of vegetarian recipes at http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com.