Salty, sweet, and perfectly crave-satisfying, these almonds are a perfect snack to give you a much-needed burst of energy.
By Ruth Kirwan
These nuts are the perfect thing to throw in a purse or a backpack and eat by the handful, to get a short burst of energy. Sweet and Salty, they’re easy to throw in the oven while doing something else on the side.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (don't skimp the quality on this one!)
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Place the slivered almonds in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine the sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and ginger and mix well. Toss the almonds with the maple syrup until coated evenly, then add in the sugar mix and toss to coat.
- Spread the almonds on a baking sheet in an even layer, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until the almonds have browned. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When cool, break up any crusted sugar and transfer the almonds to an airtight, sealed container for storage. Will keep for up to two weeks in a cool, dry place.
Midwestern transplant living in New York City. I live in a teeny apartment in NYC with my husband, whom I call the Big Man. I'm a food writer, recipe developer and tester, cooking school instructor, and total cheese lover. I'm happiest whenever I'm in front of a hot stove with a wooden spoon in my hand.