Sophisticated sweet potato brownie meets the no-holds-barred decadence of s’mores flavors.
By Denise Browning
Sweet Potato-Smores Brownies
Sophisticated sweet potato brownie meets the no-holds-barred decadence of s'mores flavors.
Author: Denise Browning
Recipe Type: Dessert
For the Brownie Batter:
- 1 (18.3 oz or 520 g) box of Chewy Fudge Brownies mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 4 large eggs at room temperature, divided
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract, divided
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup canned sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups miniature marshmallows
Chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
- 1-2 tablespoons Graham cracker crumbs plus small squares to decorate top of the brownies
- For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1-1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F for glass or metal pans, and 325° F for dark or non-stick pans. Grease bottom of a 13- x 9-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat brownie mix, 2 eggs, oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and water together on low speed until well blended (Please, do not over beat). Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Beat mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, ½ tablespoon vanilla, and granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until just blended. Then, add the apple pie spice, baking powder, and flour to the sweet potato mixture, beating at low speed until just blended.
- Spoon sweet potato mixture over brownie batter and spread even and gently; top with remaining brownie batter, spreading evenly.
- Bake sweet potato-smores brownies for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove sweet potato-smores brownies from oven to a wire rack and top with marshmallows.
- Prepare Chocolate Frosting, and drizzle the hot frosting over sweet potato-smores brownies. Sprinkle Graham cracker crumbs on top and let cool completely. Decorate sweet potato-smores brownies with small Graham cracker squares and enjoy!
To prepare the Chocolate Frosting:
- In a small saucepan, cook butter, cocoa, and milk over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Then, remove from heat and whisk very well in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle the hot frosting over the sweet potato-smores brownies.