A one pot wonder dish, chicken, sweet potatoes, wholesome rice, a perfect comforting dish for cold British summer nights.
By Selina Periampillai
This dish is perfect for those cold, winter or rainy days, we experience a lot of these in our British Summer. So when you come home after a day in the rain or for a lazy sunday lunch, this warming casserole is a great pick me up. The chicken is tender, the sugary sweet potatoes compliments the heat from the mustard, with delicious rice , this is soul food.. a heavenly one pot wonder.
- 8 chicken thighs on the bone
- 1 large onion
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 sweet potato
- 165g (5.80 oz) brown basmatic rice
- 2 tsps dried marjoram
- 2 tbsps english mustard
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Grated Zest of 1 lemon
- 450 ml (15.22 fl oz) Chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, garlic, peel the sweet potato and cut into rounds about ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle flour on a plate, season with salt and pepper then toss the chicken thighs so thoroughly coated.
- In a casserole dish, add the olive oil and set to a medium heat, add the chicken thighs in batches and seal the meat till golden all over. Transfer to a seperate plate.
- Lower the heat under the casserole dish, add the onion, garlic and celery. Fry for 3-4 minutes till softened, add in the rice and marjarom and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, lemon zest and then the sweet potato rounds, our over the chicken stock and return the chicken thighs to the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover the casserole dish with a lid then place in the oven on a medium shelf for 45 minutes.
- Take out and check rice is cooked and chicken is tender, serve up with salad.