This delicious tomato tart from Tamara Novacoviç is the perfect way to use summer tomatoes.
By Tamara Novacoviç
There are many fruits and vegetables I eat when not in season, but tomatoes are not one of them. I totally detest those artificial, watery and bland tomatoes and acknowledge only these ripened under hot summer sun, sensationally red, juicy and bursting with real tomato-summer flavor.
Croatian cuisine uses tomato in ways very similar, if not same, to Italian cuisine. People enjoy making tomatoes with parmigiano, basil, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, and one of the most popular recipes is probably tomato salsa. My friend has a beautiful, simple recipe for this, a sauce made of 4 ingredients, so simple, yet so divine: tomatoes, olive oil, parsley and garlic. Served over home-made gnocchi.
This tomato tart is made with a beautiful dough that I recommend using for other tarts and simple filling starring tomatoes, of course. I’d say it resembles super-simplified pizza. It is one of those simple dishes that make great appetizer, light dinner or summer garden party food.
- 1.9 oz (55 g) butter
- 1.9 oz (55 g cream cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tomatoes, medium size
- fresh basil
- cottage cheese
- olive oil
- grated parmigiano cheese
- Mix butter with cream cheese. Add heavy cream. Add flour and salt, knead only until dough forms: you will get soft dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on floured surface and transfer to tart pan. Poke with fork.
- Wash tomatoes, cut in circles. Sprinkle tart dough with parmigiano. Place tomato circles on top, sprinkle with some salt and pepper, chopped basil, thyme and goat cheese. Pour some olive oil on top.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Tamara Novakovic is a passionate self-taught cook, food blogger, freelance food writer and photographer behind bite-my-cake.blogspot.com. Her life journey has led her through Faculty of Humanities in Zagreb, Croatia to discovering passion for making cakes. She is currently a weekly food columnist for Croatian newspaper V magazine and food magazine Repete.