For the Wraps:
- 60 Vine Leaves (blanched and ready to cook)
For the Filling:
- 250 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 bunch of fresh Dill (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch of fresh Mint (finely chopped)
- 2 Scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 big Onion (finely chopped)
- 400 gr Carolina or Long Grain Rice
- 400 gr Water (+ more water to cook them once they are rolled)
- Black Pepper
- Juice from 1–2 Lemons
For the Egg-Lemon Sauce (“Avgolemono”):
- 120 gr Egg Yolks (approximately 8 yolks)
- 60 gr fresh Lemon Juice
- 20 gr Organic Corn Starch
- 500 gr Vegetable Broth
- 4 gr Salt
- 200 gr Coconut Cream (obtained from refrigerating Coconut Milk overnight)
- In a pot, over medium to high heat, add half of the olive oil, with the scallion and onion and cook them until they get soft, for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the rice and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lastly, add the water, stir well, lower the heat and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes before you stir in the rest of the ingredients (dill, mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper).
- Cover a shallow and wide pot, with a layer of vine leaves and add in the lemon juice.
- To roll up all the dolmades, lay the vine leaves on a cutting board, add one tablespoon of rice filing (quantity varies depending on the size of the vine leaves) in the middle, then close the frame and roll. Each roll should be rolled tightly and be approximately 5 cm long.
- Place the dolmades in the pot forming a spiral and repeat creating more layers until you run out of dolmades.
- Add the rest of the olive oil in the pot and place a round plate on top of the dolmades so they won’t break when they start cooking. Add in warm water or vegetable broth until they are fully covered. Cook them for 40-50 minutes, depending on their size. Once cooked, let them rest in the pot until they are cooled off completely, so they can maintain their shape.
- Prepare the Avgolemono Sauce by combining yolks and corn flour in a bowl. Beat lightly by hand. Heat up the broth and add it to the bowl with the yolk mixture, while keeping stirring slowly. Put the mixture into a pot and cook it until it thickens (about 2 minutes). Add in salt, lemon juice and the vegetable cream and we cook for 1-2 more minutes.