Enjoy an Indian dessert, Strawberry Firni, courtesy of Sanjeeta Kk.
By Sanjeeta Kk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup crushed Strawberries
- 2 tbsp. Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- Wash and soak rice in water for 3-4 hours. Drain and grind the soaked rice into coarse paste using 1-2 tsp. of milk. Clean and hull the strawberries and crush with your hands or a ladle.
- If you are using earthen pots to set the Firni, wash each pot thoroughly and soak in water for 10 hours or more.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, pour 2 cups of milk in it and bring it to boil. Add the coarsely ground rice paste in hot milk and let it simmer on medium heat. Keep stirring till the milk thickens, it will take 10-12 minutes to get the right consistency which is neither too dry nor too runny.
- Add sugar and take the pan off the flame and let it cool slightly.
- Add Vanilla essence, crushed strawberries and mix well. Pour the thick batter into soaked earthen pots or individual bowls and cover with cling foil.
- Keep a few slices of strawberries for garnishing. Refrigerate all the bows or earthen pots till Firni is set.
- Garnish pot with crushed nuts or silver varak.
Sanjeeta kk is the author of food blog ‘Lite Bite’ which features vegetarian recipes. Her quest for egg free baking and healthy cooking is extensively shared though all her recipes. She likes to share stories behind the origin of her recipes which are easy and accessible. Homemade, unprocessed and healthy food is what she strives for each day. She defines food as nostalgic, comforting & an important factor to connect with people and make community