You’ll have to run around the block a few times because one slice of this cake is just not an option.
By Sarah Platanitis
- 1 package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 Tbsp unsalted, butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- One quart strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 9? round pans.
- Place butter in bowl of mixer and beat until creamy. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until completely mixed.
- Beat in cake mix and buttermilk. Use a spatula to scrape down bowls sides and beat again. Pour mixture into pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Keep cakes in pans for about five minutes before popping them out to cool on wire racks. Frost with your choice of gluten-free milk or dark chocolate flavor once completely cool.
- Quick soak and drain one quart of strawberries. Cut and set aside in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of brown sugar and mix to coat pieces well. The sugar will break down the berries and the more time, the better! I usually make my raw compote the night before and drain the juice before adding it to the cake layers.
Sarah grew up a “restaurant kid” and spent most of her childhood pretending to be Julia Child. Her blog (sarahinthekitchen.com) is a place for kitchen musings and her food writing, photography and illustrations.