PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Make a pan of this sweet strawberry bread pudding the night before and easily bake in the morning for a stunning breakfast treat.
We just booked tickets to Europe for later this summer. Our plan: explore Barcelona, eat as many tapas as our bellies can hold and then drive across the border to France to eat as many French-everything we can. Oh, and to see the sights. I just can’t help it as our vacations revolve around food. Isn’t that best (um, only) way to experience a culture?
In celebration of our summer trip and Mother’s Day, I’m incorporating a French classic into a perfect breakfast for serving in bed to Mom (or in all honesty, to yourself). Strawberries are a sign that spring is in full force, so I used Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves and juicy strawberries to flavor an irresistible bread pudding that’s sweet and fruity but not too sweet it leans more dessert. Although I won’t tell if you top it with ice cream and call it dessert. But the best part about this whole thing? It can be made the night before and baked in the morning for a fuss-free breakfast. While it’s baking, you can slice fruit, make coffee, arrange flowers, and write that Mother’s Day card you remembered to get…
What I love about Bonne Maman is that they preserve fruits at their peak, so the natural sweetness and fruit flavors really come out. They are also non-GMO project verified, use no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial coloring, and no preservatives. That’s a lot of wins in my book. In this bread pudding, to make sure every single bite has a punch of strawberry, I make strawberry preserve sandwiches and cut them into cubes. Those cubes get tossed with fresh strawberries and bathed in an egg and almond milk mixture. After soaking overnight and baking in the morning, each slice is topped with toasted almonds, coconut, and coconut whip (or real whipped cream or Greek yogurt if dairy-free isn’t your thing) and drizzled with maple syrup.
What better way to celebrate spring and the best Mom in the world?
Bonne Maman is giving away a gorgeous 12-piece set of Le Creuset cookware plus many other goodies (over 1,000 prizes!) on their website. Click below to enter! Who doesn’t love beautiful cookware?!
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
- Coconut oil, for greasing the pan
- 10 slices whole grain sandwich bread (I used a seeded bread), preferably a little stale
- 5 tablespoons Bonne Maman Strawberry preserves
- 1¼ cups chopped fresh strawberries, plus more for serving
- 5 eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream, whipped cream, or Greek yogurt (optional)
- Grease bottom and sides of 1 ½ quart baking dish. Make preserves sandwiches. Spread 5 slices with 1 tablespoon each of Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves. Top with another slice to make a sandwich, pressing gently to adhere. Slice each sandwich into 16 cubes. Spread half of cubes in bottom of baking dish. Scatter with half of chopped strawberries. Top with remaining sandwich cubes and strawberries.
- Whisk eggs until no longer stringy. Add almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and whisk to combine. Pour mixture over bread and strawberries and press gently to submerge as best you can. Not everything will be covered, but you want each piece to be in some of liquid. Cover with foil and allow to sit in fridge for 8 hours or overnight.**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pan in oven and bake, covered, for 55-65 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove foil cover to allow top to brown. Pudding will be done when it is no longer jiggly, the top is golden, and it feels just firm to touch. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Resting will allow you to get the cleanest slices. Top with almonds, coconut, fresh strawberries, and whipped topping of choice. Drizzle with additional maple syrup, if desired.