Fresh strawberries and balsamic vinegar cozy up to each other to make this fudgy brownie stand out.
By Abby Himes
And just when you think a brownie can’t get much better, try swirling a little strawberry into it. Who needs chocolate covered strawberries when you can have strawberry swirled brownies?
- 1 recipe of your favorite brownies
- 1 cup (about) chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- non-stick spray
- Preheat the oven and prepare the brownie batter according to the box directions.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar and 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Stir together and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes, until the strawberry mixture has slightly thickened and reduced.
- Remove from heat and stir in the other Tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar.
- Pour the brownie batter in a greased, 8x8 pan. Pour the strawberry mixture over the batter and using a knife, gently swirl the two together. You want the strawberry to still mostly stay on the top, don't mix it in completely.
- Bake according to the directions, I ended up baking it an extra 10 minutes to cook all the way through for a total of 50 minutes at 325 degrees F. So check the center with a toothpick or knife end to see if it comes out fairly clean (the strawberry will cling to it-that's okay) The center may be slightly jiggly but will finish cooking as it cools.
- Let cool and the best thing to use to cut into squares is a plastic knife.
Abby can be found cruising her local farmer's market and co-op looking for fresh, new, flavors and sustainable options. She sees food as an adventure, and is always excited to try something new. Abby is also the creator and voice behind the food blog, Seaweed & Sassafras.