On a chilly spring day, we need a dish that falls somewhere between hearty and refreshing. Try this braised lamb with spring asparagus, peas, and topped with a lemon-mint yogurt.
On a chilly spring day, we need a dish that falls somewhere between hearty and refreshing. Try this braised lamb with spring asparagus, peas, and topped with a lemon-mint yogurt. Recipe: http://bit.ly/1YbzcsE
Posted by Honest Cooking Magazine on Thursday, April 7, 2016
We had to show off this beautiful Le Creuset enameled cast iron pan for this video. Isn’t she a beaut?! Make sure to use a heavy pan that comes with a lid for this recipe.
- Oil enough for cooking
- 1 pound of lamb leg cut into smalled cubes
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/3 cup carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 cups peas
- 1 Tablespoon mint chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mint chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Generously sprinkle your lamb with kosher salt.
- Heat your heavy-bottomed pan with a few tablespoons of oil.
- Once hot, sear lamb on all sides.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Remove lamb from pan and add carrots, onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook until soft in the pan drippings.
- Stir in wine, cook for a few minutes and then add in broth.
- Stir and bring mixture up to a simmer.
- Add lamb back to pan and cover. Cook for about 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, make yogurt sauce.
- One lamb is cooked, remove from oven and check sauce. If you would like it to be thicker, whisk in a small amount of cornstarch and bring to a simmer on the stove top. This is a great time to taste the sauce and check the seasoning
- Stir in asparagus and peas. Replace the lid and allow the heat of the pan and the sauce to slightly blanch or soften the raw vegetables. They should still have some crunch to them for a spring-y flavor.
- Stir in chopped mint.
- Serve with yogurt and enjoy.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.