Roast up a few batches of these spicy chestnuts and snack away… But save some for later, you will need them.
By Alisha Randell
Spicy Roasted Chestnuts
Roast up a few batches of these spicy chestnuts and snack away... But save some for later, you will need them.
Author: Alisha Randell
Recipe Type: Side
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts in the shell
- ½ cup boiling hot water
- ⅛ cup olive oil, warmed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4-6 small sage leaves
- 2-3 red peppers, dried
- pinch of sea salt
- Begin by placing dried peppers in boiling or very hot water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once softened, cut a slit lengthwise in peppers and place in warmed oil along with fresh herbs and salt. Allow them to steep in warm oil for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, score an "X" shape into each of your chestnuts on the rounded side. Then place chestnuts into a bowl and toss with seasoned oil mixture.
- Place chestnuts, herbs and pepper mixture on a sheet of foil with edges folded up onto a baking sheet. Cover loosely with additional foil to create a bit of steam.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, remove from oven and toss to re-coat chestnuts. Continue baking for 5-10 minutes, or until they begin to spread open.
- Allow to cool to touch, peel and snack!