A gluten-free whiskey brings the smoky flavors of fall to a delicious caramel apple sauce. Sweet, smoky, tart and with a hint of orange to bring all the spices together. Try it with all of your favorite desserts or ice cream.
By Rina Anastasiou
Recently I discovered that Johnnie Walker is gluten free and I got excited! Just to make it clear though,I am not alcoholic,nor like the whiskey in general! I just love it in sauces, sweet or savory. It gives that depth of flavor and that smokiness that I love in fall! So,I decided to make this caramel sauce… Is not your ordinary caramel sauce though! It is sweet,smokey,tart with a hint of orange and the perfect marriage of the spices! I fell in love with this sauce!
- 5 peeled-diced Fiji apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup250 grams packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (you can use powder as well)
- ½ cup/125 ml whiskey ( Johnnie Walker)
- zest and juice from half orange
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Dice apples and toss with lemon juice in a medium-large bowl.
- In separate bowl combine brown sugar,cinnamon adenine pepper,nutmeg,ginger,orange zest and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat over medium-high heat a medium-large saucepan, add the butter and let it melt. Transfer the apples and let for 8 minutes.
- Some of the apples will break down,but you’ll still have some chunks
- Add the whiskey and orange juice. Let the alcohol evaporate for 2 minutes and add the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine and incorporate well.
- Add the heavy cream,carefully and stir constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and let sit 5 minutes before transferring to your jars.