Savory sunny Spanish omelette muffins. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a packed lunch.
By Joana Oliveira
These savory muffins are inspired in the famous Spanish dish Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Omelette) with the plus of being easier to cook and pack.
I first learned how to make tortilla with a Spanish friend back when I was living in Barcelona. I remember trying several times before with little success… I learned with my friend that there are two small tricks that make all the difference: the way you cut the potatoes and the way you flip the Spanish omelette. The first one is easy (you just need to shave the potatoes) but the second took me a while to master… the dramatic climax of tortilla flipping that can ruin your creation in just seconds. And it did! So this time, to avoid any unpleasant surprises I´ve used the frittata trick: put it in the oven and problem is solved. With the plus that it´s the perfect packed lunch. Lunch or brunch or breakfast, any excuse is good to eat these savory sunny muffins.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shaved in small pieces
- 6 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup chives (green tops only), chopped
- ½ red bellpeper, cut into thin slices
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 360ºF/180ºC.
- Heat the olive oil with the garlic clove in a skillet over medium–high heat. Remove the garlic clove and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the shaved potatoes and let them cook for 15 minutes or until tender and slightly golden in the edges.
- Whisk the eggs in a big bowl and add in the chives, salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes in the egg mixture and incorporate.
- Pour the mixture on a 12 muffins baking tray (or 12 muffins cups) and place the pepper slices on top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.