A simple, soft olive oil cake is a beautiful dessert to serve when there are no berries or produce in season. Sweet, fluffy and bright it is a stunningly rustic cake.
By Soni Sinha
Life is all about enjoying simple pleasures.
Like this simple cake.
I started making this cake as I was craving for something sweet. But little did I expect that my kids would be raving and going for seconds since it’s a tad different from the cakes that they’re used to.
Olive Oil Cake is an easy dessert that uses ingredients you have on hand. I first thought this cake would have a strong Olive oil flavor but it has just a slight hint of the Olive Oil along with the vanilla and tastes delicious. It’s perfectly moist and fluffy. I’ve kept it simple although you can make different variations using lemon or orange. A little sprinkling of powdered sugar is all you need to dress it up.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square cake pan. Mix together the sugar and eggs in a medium bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until blended and light.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and vanilla and mix until light and smooth.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- Add the flour mixture half at a time to the wet ingredients and mix on low just to bring it together.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool 15 minutes, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.