A moist cake that releases all the essences of 70% dark chocolate and cocoa of good quality. Ideal for every occasion and season, it’s perfect for an early autumn afternoon, accompanied by a hot drink.
By Veronica Lavenia
A moist cake that releases all the essences of 70% dark chocolate and cocoa of good quality. Ideal for every occasion and season, it’s perfect for early autumn afternoon, accompanied by a hot drink.
- 3 eggs
- 150 g (5½ 0z) dark brown sugar
- 300 g (10½ oz) rice flour
- 15 g (½oz / ¼cup) organic baking powder
- 150 g (5 ½ oz) dark chocolate 70% (gluten-free, if intolerant)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (gluten-free, if intolerant)
- 125 ml (4 fl oz, ½ cup) rice milk at room temperature
- 60 ml (2 fl oz, ¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil (or 80 ml- ¹/5 cup organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
- a pinch of salt
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Combine the flour mixed with baking powder, stirring until dough is smooth.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and add to the dough along with tablespoons unsweetened cocoa.
- Add the milk and oil, mixing the dough quickly.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff with a pinch of salt.
- Combine the egg whites to the mixture, using a spatula and stirring from the bottom up so that they do not disassemble.
- Place the baking paper and pour the mixture into the mold.
- Bake at 180° C (350°F/gas 4) for 25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when the surface cracks are formed but the inside remains soft.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.