If you are feeling under the weather or in the mood to get cozy, learn how to easily make a bowl of flavorful, healing chicken broth.
Chicken broth is incredibly good for you and when it’s so easy to make there is no excuse to not cook some up and let the good times roll. Did you know that chicken stock is anti-inflammatory and that there is something in chicken stock called carnosine which fights against flu? Nice one chicken stock! If you’re a chicken lover, check out our top 10 chicken recipes for autumn. Scrumptious!
- 25ml (0.8 fl ounces or a few tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 150g (1.7 ounces) chopped bacon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 whole chicken, jointed
- 200g (7 ounces) risoni/orzo
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 leeks, chopped
- 150g (1.7 ounces) mange tout beans
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (16.9 fluid ounces) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, add the oil at a medium high heat. Then add in the onions, bacon, and garlic and fry for about 8 minutes. Now add the chicken stock and bring to the simmer. Add the jointed chicken and then cook for about 10 minutes at a medium low heat. Add the risoni follow by the carrots and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and use a fork to shred it (get rid of the bones and skin). Now add the beans and leek to the pan and then add the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl and add parsley to the top.