This mushroom escabeche consists of mushrooms cooked in Sherry vinegar, white wine and olive oil, seasoned with bay leaves, black pepper and herbs.
- 1lb (500g) mushrooms
- 4 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4/5 cup (200ml) Sherry vinegar
- 4/5 cup (200ml) good white wine
- 3/5 cup (150ml) water
- 2 2/5 cups (600ml) virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch rosemary
- Thoroughly clean the mushrooms, cut off their feet. Wash in a colander, rinse and slice. Set aside.
- Finely chop the shallots and sauté in a heavy pot in 4 tbsp of the virgin olive oil until translucent.
- Add the vinegar and reduce the liquid by half, until the shallots begin to brown and caramelize (10-15 minutes).
- Add the white wine and the water, and again reduce by half (another 8-10 minutes).
- Add the sliced mushrooms, the whole peeled cloves of garlic, the seasonings and remaining oil, and cook everything together 25 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt if needed. Let cool the escabeche and keep it in the refrigerator for three days before eating, for the flavors to meld.
Well refrigerated it can easily last two or three weeks, because the oil rises to the surface and insulates the mushrooms from the ambient.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins