A savory vegetable pie nestled into a yeast-risen crust and topped with a Sicilian-style cheese.
A savory vegetable pie nestled into a yeast-risen crust and topped with a Sicilian-style cheese. High quality whole meal flour, seasonal vegetables and excellent cheese are the keys to a simple but tasty dish.
Images by G. GIUSTOLISI
- 1 kg 2 pounds-4 ounces cauliflower
- 500 g 1 Ib/2 oz wholewheat Farro flour
- 4 teaspoon organic yeast
- warm water to taste
- salt to taste
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- white pepper to taste
- 350 g 11 oz “Tuma” Sicilian cheese (or Fontina cheese)
- Mix the yeast with the flour. Add warm water to taste, salt, oil and form a firm but soft dough. Let rise the mixture for 2-3 hours. Roll out the dough on an oiled baking pan.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower and cook steam.
- In a saucepan, pour 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, cauliflower, salt and white pepper to taste Mix the ingredients together until brown the vegetables.
- Pour the seasoned vegetables in the pan where you have placed the dough.
- Season with “Tuma” Sicilian cheese or other high quality soft or semi soft cheese.
- Bake at 180°C (350° F/gas 4) for 50 minutes.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.