Loaded with nutrients, flavor and beautiful colors, dig into this savory oatmeal bowl with a fresh watercress and an easy watercress sauce you can make the night before.
On most days, we are savory people when we first wake up. Sweet breakfasts don’t usually do the trick when it comes to kickstarting our day, so we created this delicious savory oatmeal bowl.
We made the bowl with steel-cut oats for a great texture that is far from mushy. Then we topped it with a watercress sauce that is similar to pesto, avocado, a poached egg, a turmeric-chili butter and finally some fresh watercress. It. Was. So. Good. We suggest making your oats, turmeric butter and the watercress sauce the night before. In the morning, just reheat a bowl of oats with the butter on top, drizzle with sauce, poach an egg and top with avocado and fresh watercress.
For the watercress, we used some greens from a company that we are super excited about. Pete’s Living Greens was founded in 1970 in California and is an employee-owned and -operated leader in hydroponically grown living greens. Their growing techniques using up to 85% less water and 70% less land that traditional growers. BUT the real reason we love these greens is that they are at the grocery store with their roots still attached. Mind blown. Of course keeping the roots intact helps the greens last longer. And we all know how many times we have let a bunch of lettuce or greens wilt in the fridge. No more! Each Pete’s Living Greens product is sustainably grown without the use of GMOs or harmful insecticides. They also grow a variety of other lettuces that will last and stay fresh for so much longer than your usual bunch.
Disclosure: We were not compensated for this post, but we did receive free watercress in order to make this recipe.
Savory Oatmeal with Watercress
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh watercress we used Pete's Greens
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 of an avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup watercress fresh, uncut
- Cook oats according to directions and salt to taste.
- Chop with a knife or in a food process the garlic and watercress. Combine with the lemon juice and oil. Season to taste.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir in chili flakes and turmeric. Stir to combine and allow to cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Poach two eggs.
- Mix watercress sauce into oats and drizzle with turmeric butter. Top each serving with fresh watercress, avocado slices and poached egg.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.