- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Italian sausage link
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- heaping 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan (plus extra for scattering on top)
- pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound pizza dough
- pinch of garlic salt
- favorite marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Generously oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet or pie dish. Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove casing from sausage. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add sausage and use a wooden spoon to cook while breaking it down into crumbles. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove from heat and transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Without cleaning, add the spinach to the same skillet and cook until spinach is just wilted. Cool for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, sausage, spinach, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Divide dough into 20 pieces and shape each piece into a round ball. Flatten one piece into a round, place a tablespoon of filling in the middle and pull the dough around, pinching at the top to seal. Please seam side down in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough and filling.
- Lightly brush the tops with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and a scattering of parmesan.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
I usually double the recipe since one pan isn’t quite enough for my family of four. To reheat leftovers, cover with foil and bake at 375 until heated through.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Baking, Bread