This soup is perfect for a chilly winter evening – hearty, rich and absolutely delicious.
By Kelsey Hilts
Rustic Squash and Lentil Stew
This soup is perfect for a chilly winter evening - hearty, rich and absolutely delicious.
Author: Kelsey Hilts
Recipe Type: Stew
- ½ cup chopped leek
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Fresno red peppers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1-2 carrots, sliced in rounds
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 cups cooked squash chunks, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the leek, garlic, onion, Fresno reds, carrot and ginger in a large pot coated with olive oil, at medium high, for 5-10 minutes until starting to lightly brown and become tender.
- Add the lentils and 4 cups of chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pot and let the lentils boil for 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender, blend 1 cup of cooked squash chunks with 2 cups chicken broth until smooth.
- Add the squash puree to the soup and let the soup continue to simmer until the lentils are fully cooked and tender.
- Stir in the squash chunks and let the soup simmer on low until ready to serve.