- 5 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 – 5 large garlic cloves
- 5 – 6 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 heaped teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 500 mls of water OR 500 mls of fresh vegetable stock
- 100 mls fresh cream
- 7 – 8 basil leaves (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes and red peppers into thick chunks and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Once done, put them in the blender along with the garlic, peppercorns, olive oil, salt, honey and cayenne pepper.
- Add a little stock to the blender to make a smooth paste.
- Pour it into a saucepan, add the rest of the stock and on high heat bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and add the cream and chopped basil.
- Cook for 25 minutes on medium low heat and serve hot either plain or with a cheese toastie.
- Drizzle some olive oil and cream before serving.
- Category: Appetizer