Raise a toast with this cooler made from pomegranate, the Swiss army knife of fruits.
By Prathima Rao
some Pomegranate juice or Pomegranate cooler or Pom mocktail, call it whatever you fancy. Whatever they are called, a glass of this fresh drink never fails to make you refreshed and energized..
And did you know pomegranates are regarded as the swiss-army knife among fruits. The reason being – pomegranates are loaded with antioxidants, reduce LDL aka bad cholestrol, promote digestion, helpful in case of acid reflux, prevent dehydration to name a few.
And finally, here is the recipe for the refreshing, energizing & nutrient rich concoction..
- Pomegranate (whole) – 1
- Pudina/ fresh mint leaves – 5 or per taste
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed – ½ or 1/ per taste
- Sugar (optional) – per taste
- Water, chilled or room temp – as needed
- To serve, optional – ice cubes, lime slice & mint leaf sprig for garnish
- Cut the top and bottom of the pomegranate. Mark with a knife into wedges along the sections divided by the white membrane. Now separate the wedges & discard membrane and remove the pomegranate pearls and use as needed.
- In a blender/ mixer put the pomegranate pearls, mint, lime juice, sugar if adding and little water & blend. Then strain the juice & discard seeds.
- To the juice add some more water as needed. Stir to blend. Pour into glass jar and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Born and brought up in South India amongst hard core food enthusiasts. Cooking and food has always been a part of Prathima’s growing years with every family gathering accompanied by a scrumptious and elaborate meal. Now, traditional vegetarian food of her community has paved way to contemporary and quicker dishes.