Complete with chillies, this dal is anything but boring. To help manage the heat and enjoy this protein rich stew, top with cucumbers and yogurt.
By Sowmya Dinavahi
You can have it on a cold day and feel filled. Plus Lentils are a great source of protein too.
Refreshing Dal with Yogurt and Cucumbers
Author: Sowmya Dinavahi
Recipe Type: Main
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves,minced
- 2 tbsp minced and peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups of dried red lentils, rinsed
- salt to taste
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced cucumber (peeled and seeded)
- 1 fresh green chilli, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh coriander leaves,plus few sprigs for garnish
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 4 cups of cooked basmati rice
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- Heat a medium pan over medium high. Add oil and once its hot, add some cumin seeds until fragrant.
- Add some onions,garlic and ginger. Cook,stirring often,until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add some turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 5 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cover it partially.
- Cook until lentils are thick and soft for about 15 minutes. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, combine onion,cucumber,chopped cilantro and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt and chili powder(Optional)
- To serve, divide rice among 2 bowls and ladle lentils over rice; top with yogurt and cucumber mixture. Garnish with cilantro leaves.