If you live in a country with a red white and blue flag – toss up this simple dish, cheer for your team and enjoy the Olympics.
By Rachel Swetnam
It’s Olympic days and in honor of America, Great Britain or France (really any country with those colors in their flag), I’ve made a great dish to serve up during your watch parties. I just love pasta salad and although blueberries may be a surprising addition, they are quite delightful!
So toss up this simple dish, cheer for your team and enjoy the Olympics.
If your team is not red, white and blue take this opportunity to make up your own pasta dish to honor your homeland.
- ½ 16oz bag of orienchiette pasta
- 1 4oz carton of blueberries, rinsed
- 1 C. mini plum tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ C. fresh basil, chopped
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ C. diced red onion
- ½ t. crushed garlic
- ¼ C. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on box.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Once pasta is cool, add blueberries, tomatoes, and basil to the pasta.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice, crushed garlic, chopped onion, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing mixture on top of salad mixture, toss and serve cold.
Rachel Swetnam is a freelance photographer, food stylist and cooking enthusiast. Her food blog (www.biscuitbatches.com) shares her vegan cooking/baking adventures. Born and bred in Kansas City, MO and earning a degree in Photojournalism from the University of Missouri, she now calls Venice, CA home.