With a striking balance of sweetness from raspberries, richness from ricotta and bitterness from cocoa powder, this cake will totally make you smile.
By Kankana Saxena
With a striking balance of sweetness from raspberries, richness from ricotta and bitterness from cocoa powder, this cake totally made my day. It was crumbly, soft, not overly sweet and perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (I use dutch dark cocoa powder)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt). In a separate bowl, whisk egg and sugar until they’re mixed together. Add oil, ricotta and milk and give another whisk. Empty the mixed dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and whisk again. Finally, drop the fresh raspberries and using a spoon, mix it lightly.
- Pour the cake batter in a six-inch round baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until it’s baked through. Check by inserting a knife or tooth pick right in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Kankana Saxena shares culinary journey, travel stories and passion for photography in her blog 'Playful Cooking'. Her cooking style is mostly nutritional with little bit of indulgence here and there. She believes in the mantra 'homemade is happiness'! She is a native of India but currently resides in Santa Clara, California with her husband.